January 04, 2012

My Winter Regimen - Updated


Shampoo
Once per week on Saturday or Sunday, depending on what is going on.  Currently I use Shea Moisture’s Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo mixed with a little castor oil.  I purchased this from Walgreens last year when they had a buy one get one special, which they run frequently.  It can also be purchased at Target.  See review here.  I just purchased some Elucence Moisture Benefits Shampoo, which I have been wanting to try for over a year now.  I am very excited to try it and see how my hair will respond. Hopefully it will arrive prior to my next shampoo.  Something with “moisture” in the name can only yield great results right?
If you read my article regarding parabens, I discuss my decision to discontinue using Trader Joes shampoo. 

Conditioner
TREsemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner (staple) – slip is awesome and my hair is soft.  What else do you need from a conditioner? I purchased this from Target.


Leave In Conditioner/Detangler
Kinky Curly Knot Today (staple).  I have yet to come across anything that works better and honestly, I am not looking for anything new.  It works!  Sometimes I had olive oil to the bottle. Check out my review.  I purchased my current bottle from Whole Foods, however, you can also purchase at Target or through CurlMart.


Deep Conditioner
Since I do have color in my hair, I do my best to add moisture, which for me means more frequent deep conditioning.  I deep condition my hair each and every time I shampoo – ALL YEAR - NO EXCEPTIONS!!! I still use Jessi Curl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment. (they have since changed the name to Jessi Curl Deep Conditioning Treatment, however, it is the same formulation)  I purchased from the Jessi Curl website and it can also be purchased through CurlMart.
*to lock in the moisture, I rinse with cool or cold water to close the cuticle

Protein Treatment
I use Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner, once per month.  I apply this prior to shampooing.  I started this in July and it has become a part of my regular regimen.  I purchased this from Raisin Rack and I am still working on the review.


Style of Choice
So far this winter, I have been doing my usual braid outs and buns.  I did a two strand twist last week which lasted me all week and it was “cute enough” so I will be doing more of that throughout the season.  I am still considering ordering a wig but I just don’t know how I will look. 

Styling Products - these are the main ones I use, although I have others in my arsenal that I pull out from time to time. (WonderCurl, Shea Moisture, etc.)


·         Karen’s Body Beautiful Butter Love – see my review here.
·         Bee Mine Bee Hold Curling Butter – see my review here.

I purchased both from the company websites and they can also be purchased through CurlMart.


Oils/Shea Butter
Coconut Oil is definitely my #1 oil of choice with olive oil in a close 2nd.  I am still on the hunt for reasonably priced argan oil as well.
I use 100% Natural African Shea Butter to seal my ends.

General Practices
Prior to shampooing, I apply olive oil to my dry hair and detangle each section (6 sections – 3 on each side, sometimes more) with my fingers and put them in huge twists.  This process usually takes about 30 minutes.  


Shampoo with the twists still in place with emphasis on my scalp.  I do not apply the shampoo directly to my ends.  I always dry my hair with a t-shirt or microfiber towel.

Remove one twist at a time and apply a generous amount of conditioner, rinse, apply my deep conditioner, retwist and move on to the next twist.  I know it sounds like a lot of twisting, however, it is a feasible way to control these curls!
I then place a plastic cap on and leave the deep conditioner on for several hours or overnight.
Once I rinse the deep conditioner, one twist at a time, I am ready to style. 
*Notice I do this entire process while my hair is in chunky twists.  If I do not, my hair will be extremely tangled and I lose more hair.
When I am done, my hair is super soft and super detangled.

I do not apply heat on a regular basis.  In general, I use heat 3 times per year at the most.  So far this year I have used heat once.  Disclaimer, if at anytime, I decide to do so more often, I reserve the right to change my mind. 
J

At night, I sleep with a satin scarf or bonnet on a silk pillow case ALWAYS.  No exceptions.


What hair regimen will you adopt for the winter?  If there are products you have tried and would recommend, please comment!  If you would like to do a product review to help other naturals/transitioners or relaxed women, please complete the contact form.







No comments: