November 18, 2010

Winter Blues - Winter Hair Resolutions/Regimen


 




So that my hair doesn’t have the Winter Blues like I do, I am adopting a new regimen.  Although I’ve been natural for several years, this is my first winter wearing my natural hair in its curly state so we will see how things go.  At the end of the season, I will reevaluate.

I, CC, do solemnly swear to do the following:

Clarify
I have found that there is good and bad when it comes to products that contain “cones”.  While cones do seal the hair shaft, preventing your hair from absorbing moisture, they also aid in helping your mane remain conditioned longer.  Bottom line, some hair likes cones, mine does!  I plan to use a clarifying shampoo when I do use products containing cones. 

What clarifying shampoo will I use?  Neutrogena Anti Residue Shampoo.   After which I will shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo, which leads me to my next resolution.

Shampoo
I promise to do a lot more co – washing this winter.  Since your scalp does not produce as much sebum during the winter, I do not want to use shampoos as often, which can dry your hair out more.  However, when I do shampoo, it will be with a moisturizing shampoo.

What shampoo will I use?  Trader Joes Balanced Moisturizing Nourish Spa Shampoo.  I also recently purchased Suave Almond Shea Moisture shampoo after reading a review from Mop Top Maven.  I have not tried it yet but I will soon.  Review to come at a later date.

What will I use to co –wash?  Herbal Essences Hello Hydration, Long Term Relationship, Yes to Tomatoes.

Conditioner
I promise to ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS apply a leave in conditioner.  This is not something I did consistently before but again, the cold winter air robs your hair of its natural moisture leaving your hair defenseless!
What leave in will I use?  Kinky Curly Knot Today, Herbal Essences None of Your Frizzness.

Deep Conditioner
Since I do have color in my hair, I have to do my best to add moisture, which for me means more frequent deep conditioning.  Sometimes I get lazy and only deep condition once per month.  I am going to deep condition once per week during the cold season.  Depending on who you ask, some say there is a such thing as too much conditioning.  My opinion is – it depends on your hair. 
*to lock in the moisture, I rinse with cool or cold water to close the cuticle.

What will I use?  Honey and Oil (coconut or olive) Homemade concoction and Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol.  I will probably end up purchasing something else along the way.

Detangling
I promise to take the time to thoroughly detangle!  This is extremely important in preventing knots and loss of hair! 
What will I use?  My fingers and my Ouidad Double Detangler.  I also recently purchased a Denman brush, which I will use after I detangle with the comb to smooth it out more.

Styling
I promise to experiment with protective styles.  Protective styles do just that – protect.  Any style that keeps your ends covered and does not require daily manipulation is a protective style.  To date I have only tried one – the bun, which is one of my favorites when I wear it straight as well. 

Absolutely NO WASH & GOs!
Several reasons I will fore-go the W&G during the winter.
1.      Your hair is extremely vulnerable when it is just out and about!  All of the elements are free to attack and suck all of the moisture out. 
2.      I do not like leaving the house with my hair wet – especially when it’s cold!  I also do not want all of the shrinkage.  Diffusing is not an option for me before I go to work because everyone in my home is still sleeping. 

What styling products will I use?  I will alternate between Oyin Whipped Pudding, Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade, Aveda Defining Whip and Shea butter.

Give the color a break
 I said “break” not eliminate.  I will NEVER eliminate my color…I will, however, refrain from any color applications until at least May.  I am thinking of trying the Herbal Essences Color Me Happy Conditioner for color treated hair.  I’m always looking for a reason to buy more products! 

What hair regimen will you adopt for the winter?  If there are products you have tried that you would recommend, please comment!  If you would like to do a product review to help other naturals/transitioners or relaxed women, please complete the contact form.


No comments: