September 26, 2011

Fall Regimen



Shampoo
During the fall, I will shampoo once a week or every other week, depending on the style I’m rocking.
Trader Joe’s Balanced Moisturizing Nourish Spa Shampoo (staple) Shea Moisture Organic Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo.  I did add some castor oil to this shampoo as well. 
If you read my article on parabens, you know that I no longer use the Trader Joe’s shampoo or conditioner.  Last March, Walgreens had the buy 1 get 1 sale on all Shea Moisture products.  I was in Florida at the time and made my way to several locations while there as well as made an online purchase.  One of the things I picked up was this shampoo and I am just trying it out for the first time this month.  So far, so good…I’ve used it 2 or 3 times.  I am working on a review as we speak.  I had hoped to have that out this week but time got away from me.  Anywho – it’s coming soon.  I always dry my hair with a t-shirt or microfiber towel.

Conditioner
TREsemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner (staple) – I switch between this conditioner and the Trader Joe’s Balanced Moisturizing Nourish Spa Conditioner.  I also will use the Trader Joe’s Tea Tree conditioner because I like the tingle feeling on my scalp during the summer. 
Same deal with the Trader Joe’s conditioner.  I will continue with my TREsemme Naturals Nourishing Conditioner for now.  However, I am considering a new product line and may switch this up but for now, this works for me.

Deep Conditioner
Jessi Curl Weekly Deep Conditioning Treatment (staple) – Hands down my fave!  If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. I deep condition each and every time I shampoo.

Protein Treatment
I use Aubrey Organics Glycogen Protein Balancing Conditioner, once per month.  I apply this prior to shampooing.  I started this in July so I have only used this twice.  I will be doing my September treatment this weekend.  Once I’ve used it this weekend, I will be ready for a formal review.

Style of Choice
I will definitely be doing more protective styling during the fall.  I am considering ordering this wig or getting some afro puff twists.  I have not decided yet.  If I worked in a different environment, I would just wear my hair in twists with a beanie and call it a day.  Since that won’t work for me, I will either wear buns or some type of twists pinned up, continuing with my protective style challenge. 

Oils/Shea Butter
Coconut Oil is definitely my #1 oil of choice with olive oil in a close 2nd.  I am still on the hunt for reasonably priced argan oil as well.
I use 100% Natural African Shea Butter to seal my ends.


General Practices
Prior to shampooing, I apply olive oil to my dry hair and detangle each section (6 sections – 3 on each side) with my fingers and put them in huge twists.  This process usually takes about 30 minutes.   Here is how much hair I lose after dry detangling. 


Shampoo with the twists still in place with emphasis on my scalp.  I do not apply the shampoo directly to my ends.
Remove one twist at a time and apply a generous amount of conditioner rinse and finger detangle, followed by a shower comb.  I then apply my deep conditioner, retwist and move on to the next twist.
I then place a plastic cap on and leave the deep conditioner on for several hours or overnight.
Once I rinse the deep conditioner, one twist at a time, I am ready to style. 
*Notice I do this entire process while my hair is in chunky twists.  If I do not, my hair will be extremely tangled and I lose more hair.
When I am done, my hair is super soft and super detangled.

No heat – Repeat, no heat.  Disclaimer, if at anytime, I decide to use heat, I reserve the right to change my mind.  In general, I use heat 3 times per year at the most.

At night, I sleep with satin scarf on a silk pillow case ALWAYS.  No exceptions.

P.S.  I LOVE THE FALL!!!!!! Goodbye flipflops and sundresses, hello boots and sweaters!

3 comments:

Samara said...

I love Jessicurl Weekly Deep Treatment too, That stuff just melts in my hair.

Curly Chic said...

Isn't it the best?! I used my last bit this weekend so I have to get online and purchase more. I never run out so I'm not on top of my product stash.

naturalily said...

I wondering about the much touted use of a micro-fiber towel for curly hair. I have a few, have used them and yes, they do dry hair very quickly but recently have begun to question how good they actually are for hair. The reason is that I tried a microfiber wash cloth on my face and it did awful oil sucking things to my skin. Afterward my skin was so dry it actually burned. So, if it does that to my skin, what about my hair? Maybe my hair would not be as dry if I were using a regular terry towel, a soft one. I actually think that natural fibers are better than synthetic ones for just about anything anyway....anyone know if there are silk towels out there somewhere, LOL? Has anyone else had a problem with their hair being dried out by microfiber towels?