January 02, 2012

Shea Moisture - Organic African Black Soap Deep Cleansing Shampoo - Product Review

I add a little Castor oil to my shampoo, simply to aid in the cleansing process.
Scent
I am not a fan of this smell but it is tolerable.  It smells like black licorice to me which I am also not a fan of. 

Vicosity/Consistency
It is about the same thickness of most shampoos.  Typical of most shampoos which are free of sulphates, there is not a lot of lather so if you are the type who needs to see tons of suds, this is not the shampoo for you.  What is important to me are the ingredients and the cleansing properties.  I use about a fifty cents size and I shampoo twice. 
About the product:
This shampoo helps regulate sebum production while alleviating itching and flaking. Treats dandruff, eczema & psoriasis.
·         Plantain enzyme: Helps to alleviate itchiness and irritation
·         Tea tree: Removes buildup for enhanced shine and volume
·         Willow bark extract: Exfoliates and detoxifies hair and scalp
·         Ethically traded ingredients, sustainably produced
·         No parabens, phthalates, paraffin, gluten, propylene glycol, mineral oil, synthetic fragrance, PABA, synthetic color, DEA, animal ingredients or sulfates
·         Cruelty free, no animal testing
·         Color safe, organic

Ingredients
Deionized Water , Decyl Glucoside (Sugar Beets) , African Black Soap , Salicylic Acid , Salix Alba Bark Extract (Willow) , Melia Azadirachta Seed Oil (Neem) , Charcoal Powder , Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (Tea Tree) , Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba) , Butyrospermum Parkii Oil (Shea) , Aloe Vera Leaf Juice , Vitamin E , Rosemary Extract , Plantain Extract , Lonicera Caprifolium Flower and Lonicera Japonica Flower Extract (Honeysuckle and Japanese Honeysuckle)

The number one reason I purchased this is because of the price.  Walgreens ran a buy one get one sale last summer and I used that as the opportunity to try a new product from their line.  (I have already used the Curl Enhancing Smoothie, the Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Conditioning Hair Milk, as well as the Deep Treatment Masque.)  The number two reason I purchased it was because it is an all natural product which moves it up the list for me.  I also know that black soap is supposed to help with dry skin and has healing properties so I figured it would do the same for my hair.  The final reason is because I didn’t have another shampoo that I was a fan of. 

This shampoo is just “ok” for me.  It doesn’t contain sulphates and parabens which is a plus.  It does what it’s supposed to do, cleanse and it does so without leaving my hair feeling stripped.  As for extra bells and whistles, there aren’t any, however, I will continue to use it until I find something that knocks my socks off.


Rating:  2 of out of 5 curls

No comments: