July 20, 2011

Last Night I Danced With The Devil - Part 3


A few things I've noticed since I straightened my hair.  For a refresher, click here and here.
So I noticed when I walked around with my straight hair, I didn’t get the friendly smile I typically receive when I see other fellow naturals.  Usually my lunch hour is spent running errands because that’s really the only time I have to do so.  Evenings and weekends are family time and I chose not to use it standing in long lines, taking a stroller in and out of the car and buckling and unbuckling car seats.  Lunch hour is less crowded and less distracting.  I bumped into several lovely women with natural tresses and like usual, I always give a friendly smile and a happy hello.  Kinda’ like the universal head nod we brown people do that says we have a bond and we’re happy about it.  I am a friendly person anyway so I am always polite to all but a little extra to my fellow naturals.  Only because they are so few and far between where I live.  Anyway, since I’ve been wearing my straight hair, my smile is met with a not so friendly response.  I almost feel as if I’m wearing a mask and those who normally recognize me can no longer see me.  I want to shout “hey, I’m natural too!  No…really I am!”  I miss the feeling of comradery that exist amongst naturalistas; I miss not being like everyone else and the great feeling I get when met with another woman on the same path as me. 

Has this ever happened to anyone?   Do you feel not yourself when your curls are not on display?

No comments: