April 19, 2013

PDA With My Hair

Source

I’ve always been what I consider to be a rule follower for the most part.  I believe parameters are put in place for good reasons that are not always transparent and serve the purpose of balance and order.  Of course that comes with a few qualifiers; will it affect my life negatively, i.e. will I go to jail?, does it compromise my morals and values?  That being said, I do things that fall outside the proverbial invisible lines we are not supposed to cross but nothing that requires much more than a slap on the wrist.
 
Its rule #104 on the natural hair don'ts list and goes against all things holy as it relates to handling your delicate tresses.  We are all too familiar with said list.  While it annoys some, others seemingly worship it.  The indubitable Hand In Hair Syndrome (HIHS) is almost of epidemic proportions and afflicts most of us.  What girl doesn’t engage in a little hair play throughout the day?  It’s only natural to want to show affection to your soft coils or touch your coif in admiration.  For some it’s simply a habit done without even a thought.  Others are getting familiar with their new texture or style.  Every now and then, just as a reminder of how dope my mane is, I gently twirl my curls around my finger.  Whatever the reason, it can lead to consequences down the line; unwelcomed frizz and breakage just to name a few. 

 

Do you suffer from HIHS or PDA?  What do you do to combat it?  I still haven’t figured it out yet!

Check me out on CurlyNikki every Friday.

No comments: