April 01, 2013

NaturalView - Brianna


 
Meet Brianna


I found this beautiful natural on instagram and couldn’t wait to hear all about her fabulous hair! Check out what she had to say about her gorgeous mane and how she takes care of it.


The question everyone always wants to know is why you made the decision to go natural.  I’m more interested in why you chose to stay natural?  Most will tell you it’s not easy to stay motivated.
It is a very hard process to remain motivated after going natural for some, but for me it has never been an issue. I have not once thought about the “creamy crack” since I’ve been natural, and never will I go back. I fell in love with being able to see how my natural hair grows from my roots and how many different hairstyles I can obtain. It was just so amazing and I wondered “why did it take me so long to return to my natural hair?” 

What is your current hair regimen?
My current hair regimen is not complicated at all; I like to keep it simple. I wash my hair with shampoo once every two weeks, I deep condition or hot oil treat my hair weekly, and I co wash 2 times a week. I try to stick to this religiously, but my schedule can sometimes be overwhelming and I may not do it exactly on time every time.

What are the products you cannot and will not live without?
Ok, so I admit I am a product JUNKIE *covers face*. I try everything as soon as it comes out, which is a bad habit I'm trying to break. Even though I love trying new products, these are products I've never strayed away from:

*For braid outs and twist outs: Shea Moisture’s Curl Enhancing Smoothie or Cantu Shea Butter's Coconut Curling Cream

*For moisture: WATER and coconut oil

*For co washing: Herbal Essences “Honey I'm Strong” or “Hello Hydration”

*For a leave in: Giovanni's Direct Leave-in
 
Do you have a signature hairstyle?  If so, what is it and why is it your signature?
My signature hairstyle has to be my “big puff”, even though everyone who's natural has probably done a puff before, but when people see mine they are amazed at how big it is. I love a good puff, it’s so simple to do and a very cute style.


I can tell from your photos you’ve done some modeling and your fashion sense is awesome. How do you think that fashion sense ties into your hair and hairstyle choices?
Yes, I do model in my spare time, a very fun hobby of mine. I feel that I like to be fun with my fashion sense, so that of course ties in with my hair, because I like to experiment with different styles and colors. Natural hair can become boring if you let it, that’s why I don’t limit myself when it comes to my hair.
 
What is your favorite thing about your natural hair?
My favorite thing about my natural hair is its ability to be resilient. I’ve done soo much to my hair (color, heat, cuts), and my hair is still holding strong. When I had permed hair it would break so easily, but my natural hair can withhold the storm.

What is one of the biggest natural hair faux pas you have made thus far? Explain what it was, how you recognized it was not good for your hair and what you did to correct it.
The biggest natural hair faux pas that I have done was, pulling my hair up too tight when I did buns or puffs. When I pulled it up so tight it was beginning to break my edges so I started to loosen my pony tails and apply castor oil, and they have grown back tremendously.


 
What has been the reaction of your family and peers to your hair?
When I first big chopped all of my family and friends hated it, and I would cover my hair in weaves, I guess trying to gain their approval. Eventually I got tired of covering my hair and didn’t care what they thought, but guess what? Now everyone loves it, now that it’s grown out, which is so ironic.
 
Do you see yourself remaining natural or are you open to relaxing again?  Explain.
I will remain natural, never will I go back. Being natural has changed me in a way (positively), I feel like I've embraced who I really am and I'm not hiding behind what society wants me to be. I feel free, and I love it! :)


 

Freestyle.  Is there anything you would like to add or share with the readers?

I just want to say to anyone who is transitioning or is even thinking about going natural, stick with it and just give it a try. I hate when people say being natural isn’t for everyone, but what they fail to realize is, this is how we were born, so how can it not be for “everyone”?  Another thing is never compare your hair to someone else’s, it’s okay to have inspirations but understand that everyone’s hair is different and your hair won’t look exactly like someone else’s. Love your hair first, then admire someone else. :)

Peace & Love. Follow me on Instagram: @fiercelynatural, to keep up with the latest. :)

1 comment:

Tiffany G. said...

I love the puff and the style in the third picture.