June 28, 2012

Aubrey GPB Balancing Conditioner, Product Review




Almost a year ago I read a review of this product from my girl Lola of Lola’sGreenHair, #shoutouttoLola, and I immediately took a trip to Raisin Rack to make a purchase.  It was right on time because I was in search of a good protein treatment to try, whether it be homemade or something off the shelf.  Since I am addicted to color, more specifically bleach, protein is lacking in my strands.  I had been experiencing quite a bit of shedding which I attribute to poor diet and of course, the color.  Keep in mind, protein is one of those tricky things because too much of it can cause an imbalance between moisture and protein levels.  You run into the danger of protein overload as well so I only use it monthly (sometimes I skip a month but not often) As with any product, hair or otherwise, your hair will tell you how much you need, if you are using the right type of protein, etc. all by the way it responds. It is important to take notes and document your results in order to narrow your hair needs down.  Let’s get to the review.
Ingredients
Coconut Fatty Acid Cream Base, Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ) Oil, Lactalbumin, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Oil (Organic), Sage (Salvia Officinalis) Oil (Organic), Horsetail Extract, Coltsfoot Extract, Nettle (Urtica Dioica) Extract, Amino Acid Complex (Cysteine, Methionine), Glycoprotein (from Oyster Shells), Balsam Fir Oil, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamin A, C, E)

Directions
Shake well before using. After shampooing, apply to damp hair and work through concentrating on the ends. Leave on for 1 or 2 minutes, then rinse. For deep conditioning: Apply to dry and distribute from scalp to ends. Leave on for 15 minutes, then shampoo and condition hair as usual
.

Product Claims
Nourishes and strengthens for full, shiny, healthy hair.

Scent
Upon first sniff, it smells like a salon would smell when you first walk in.  It’s not really a pleasant smell but it didn’t make me turn up my nose either.  It just smells like product, nothing fruity or aroma therapy-ish about it.  I wish I could describe it better but I’ll say this, it’s not a product you choose for its scent.

Consistency
It has a very thick consistency but feels silky on your hands.  It has a very smooth application, however, you end up using quite a bit of product initially, particularly if you are applying it on dry hair.  Because of its thick consistency, it doesn’t come out of the bottle easily.  I had to turn the bottle upside down and convince it to come out, similar to how you handle a bottle of ketchup.  This is not a big deal, I just want to be clear that the product does not come out readily as say a regular creamy conditioner would. 

Cost
The cost is $10-$11 for 11oz. which is pretty much in line with other Aubrey Organics conditioner.  I think the cost is reasonable, considering it’s not a product you use every day and the results are satisfactory.  Sometimes you get what you pay for and I have not had an Aubrey Organics product disappoint me yet.

How I Used it  
I applied it to my dry detangled hair from scalp to ends and left it in for approximately 20 minutes for deep conditioning.  After which I shampooed like normal and proceeded with my hair care regimen.

Since I started using this product in July of 2011, I have seen some reduction of shedding so I believe it is doing what it is supposed to do.  I don’t believe anything will completely eliminate it short of allowing all of the color grow out.  It has been since April 2011 since I’ve had color/bleach application.  I am dying to recolor but I’m trying to retain length so I’m going to go without as long as I can.   As related to the cost, I still have the same bottle I purchased a year ago.  I probably have 2 more doses before I have to repurchase which I absolutely will do!  If you are experiencing shedding or problems with protein/moisture balance, I recommend you try this product. 

Rating: 5 out of 5 Curls.







If you have used this product, share your results in the comments below, hit me up on facebook or send me your story to share with readers!

No comments: