May 31, 2012

NaturalViews with Denise

Meet Denise


Recently my good friend, Denise, who I affectionately call “Neecy” or “Nece”, shared some of her curly experience with me and I couldn’t wait to share!  She is truly genuine and beautiful, inside and out!   

Name 3 things you love about your hair.
Versatility, texture, overall look of my hair.

One of the “controversial” topics amongst naturals is whether or not the use of color still classifies you as natural.  What is your opinion on that?
I have always LOVED color and still do! Even when I was relaxed, I regularly colored my hair (without experiencing any damage). In my opinion, natural means free of relaxer. If I choose to color or flat-iron my hair, that makes me no less natural than any other curly.

How important do you think having a hair regimen is to the care of your hair?
For the health of your hair, it’s very important to have a hair regimen and stick to it. It doesn’t have to be a long, drawn-out regimen…find what works best for your hair and stick with it. For me, I wash my hair at least once a week (preferably twice a week) in 6 sections with Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter Moisture Retention Shampoo, followed by Suave Almond & Shea Butter rinse-out conditioner. For the summer months, I use BioInfusion Leave-in Conditioner and braid in 6­-8 “Celie braids” with shea butter to seal my ends and dry. For winter months I use Shea Moisture Hair Milk and shea butter.
Relaxed April 09

The transition begins!  Flat Iron July 2010
Tell me about your experience in the work place with regards to your natural hair. 
I have been fortunate to work for a company that embraces diversity and there are several curly girls in my workplace. I love it!

What was the reaction from others when you decided to go natural and how did you deal with it?
I’m sure there were those who didn’t (and maybe still don’t) like it but If anyone had a negative reaction, they did not verbally express it to me. Not that it would have mattered because once I made up my mind, that’s all that mattered. However, my sons and their friends loved when I started transitioning and encouraged me. I even had a few friends that decided to go natural as a result of me going natural. #teamnatural #winning

Do you have a signature hairstyle?  Please share and elaborate on why it’s your signature.
Typically I wear twistouts or bantu knotouts most often, primarily out of convenience. It’s my signature because it’s easiest for me to do! LOL Currently, I work full-time and attend college full-time so I don’t have a lot of time to try new styles.  I’ve tried a coilout (LOVED it & it will probably be my new style as the heat and humidity rises). I’ve also tried mini-twists but didn’t particularly care for it…I’ll try again when I have more time. . I’ll be done with school this August and look forward to trying out different styles.


Transitioning Braidout December 2010 


1 Month Natural February 2011

6 Months Natural July 2011


 
Has wearing your hair natural affected the way you view or feel about yourself?
Personally, I don’t think wearing my hair in its natural state has had any effect on my self-image. I do believe a person has to exude a certain level of self-confidence to rock their hair naturally because there will always be others who think negatively about natural hair.

How has your personal style been influenced by your hair or vice versa.
I can’t think of any changes to my personal style because of my hair. I’ve always been a fan of huge/unique earrings and that hasn’t changed.

What are your staple products?
WATER, shea butter, Suave almond & shea butter conditioner, Shea Moisture or BioInfusion shampoos

 13 Months Natural Bantu Knotout March 2012

 14 Months Natural Flat Iron April 2012

13 Months Natural Twistout February 2012

Free style. Is there anything else you would like to share with CurlyChics readers?
It took a lot of convincing from my stylist for me to go natural but I’m glad she was persistent. It was the best decision I could have ever made for my hair.

Also, I remember when you started your transition many years ago and the process you went through. You probably don’t know this but seeing your hair flourish kept me encouraged to stay on my journey.
 ; )


Awww, thanks Nece!!!!  I had no idea!  Nece witnessed my transition struggle years ago!  You never know who your story may inspire.:)

No comments: