May 04, 2012

How to Survive A Rainy Natural Hair Day

CurlyNikki.com
I can’t tell you how many concerts and outdoor gatherings I’ve been caught in pouring down rain walking around looking a hot mess and left with no devices to salvage my look! Two such occasions come to mind as I write this. One time I was at an outdoor concert and even though rain was in the forecast, I was hell bent on wearing it straight. The rain poured down from the moment we arrived and never stopped. Here I was with nothing except my pumps, an umbrella and a smile. I had no choice but to hit the restroom, wet my hands and slick my mane back in a baby bun (my hair was a lot shorter then). I didn’t have a pony tail holder but my girlfriend had a pencil in her purse. Off all things… a pencil, and I used it to secure the bun. It was a complete disaster! A few years later, I was at Mary J. Blige concert and again, I went with the straight hair option. No I didn’t learn from the last fiasco. Prior to the start of the show, I went to my then stylist three times in one day for her to re-straighten it! Really? #Whodoesthat? This time the rainfall wasn’t as heavy but the warmth in the atmosphere, also known as humidity was hella high and I was determined to wear my hair straight. #straightstupid – no pun intended. Again, no pony tail holder, no nothing to help save me. I was beyond embarrassed and we still had an after party to attend. On the way to the after party, we stopped at my friend’s house where I threw my entire head under her sink, slapped on a little hair gel and a cut off stocking and I rocked a puff for the remainder of the night. Exactly what I should have done from the beginning. Checking the weather beforehand is always a good idea and helps you prepare your look. However, we all know the weather man’s prediction is not always correct. This doesn’t mean you have to get stuck out there like I did. These are quick, temporary fixes to help you brave the rain while still celebrating your natural texture.

1. Satin scrunchie – I stay armed with one at all times. If your mane ends up swollen and gynormous, but not in a good way, a satin schrunchie is the best remedy from the 80s. I gently gather all of my hair on the very top of my head and loosely wrap the scrunchie around it. My tresses go from hot mess to just hot in minutes. A few strands pulled out around the perimeter give the bun a sexy, messy look.

2. Headband – sometimes a headband is all you need to salvage a hair style. It will give you a little control over what was originally a cute look while fashionably holding the hair down and off of your face. Headbands work well with any length.

3. Hairpins - keep a few hair pins on deck so that you can pull your hair back or up at a moment’s notice. No one will ever suspect that you didn’t leave the house with an adorable pinned up style initially.

4. Gel – a gel stash will be a lifesaver if caught in an unexpected downpour. You can always run your damp hands through your hair with a little gel to calm down the rain induced frizz. Aloe Vera gel is perfect for this because it is super light and does not produce crunch or flake.
What rainy day survival tips do you have? 

Don’t forget to check me out today and every Friday on Curly Nikki!
XOXO

No comments: