October 26, 2011

Yirssi's HairStory



My life changed the day I shaved my head. I almost cried as I saw my almost armpit-long hair fall to the floor. My hair dresser insisted that I faced away from the mirror until the end, so as to prevent my freaking out.
The Big Chop
1 month later
But when I saw myself, truly bare and naked in a way, I couldn't help but smile. I saw my personal beauty reflected back at me. I saw my strong jaw line, and the bump in my nose, and all of my features for the first time without any adornments, and I LOVED it. I realized that “this is me.” Maybe not a traditional beauty, or maybe not even something that other people saw as beautiful, but it was MY beauty.
That day I realized a number of things: one, that if I could see myself without hair, and love what I saw, nothing should stand in the way of me loving myself to the core. As much as other women have, and even though I “knew better,” I ingested all of the standards of beauty that the world threw at me, and then felt bad about myself because I fell short of all of those standards. But here I was, the complete opposite of long, luscious, straight hair, and I saw BEAUTY. And I realized that that's all that should matter, what I saw, not what others saw or wanted to see.
I also realized that I was stronger than I gave myself credit too. I knew that a lot of people would react negatively to my new hair style. After all I lived in an extremely conservative town in West Michigan, and came from a culture that (although it doesn't want to admit it) loves all things white washed (think Sammy Sosa). And I did find a number of neutral or flat out negative reactions, but I didn't care. And I realized that if I could face every one I knew being the barest me I could be, and not care about their opinion because I knew I was doing something good for me, then I was in some ways stronger than I imagined.
Lastly, shaving my head was a turning point in my life because it marked the beginning of my path towards living the best life I can live. I truly believe I wouldn't be the woman I am today if I'd never gone natural.

2 months later

4 months later





Thank you Yirssi for sharing your story!  Check out Yirssi's blog,Youtube channel, Facebook and follow her on twitter!

If you would like to share your HairStory, click here for more information.


No comments: