October 25, 2011

Journey to 30 {pounds that is}: Interval Training & 7 in 7, Angela - Guest Blogger

Interval training is a beast. Point. Blank. Period. (I always wondered the need to say allllll three of those words consecutively like that to prove a point, but *shrugs* I guess you get it J). Before jump starting my weight loss journey to 30, I had, or so I thought, a plan. I jumped on Jillian Michael’s website to scope out the latest workout regimen she offered and told myself I was going to buy just that.
And I did. BIG MISTAKE! I was SO not ready for what Jillian was serving. Ripped in 30 is just that! A daily 20 minute {intense} workout that only allows for rest when it’s over. Lesson Learned. In order to ‘get  ripped in 30’, I needed a pre-challenge to the challenge. Enter interval training.


From what I’ve read, interval training is all about confusing the body to burn the maximum amount of calories in a given workout. If I was planning on duking it out with Ms. Michaels, I had to build up some stamina. So, for 5 consecutive days (allowing two rest days that week), I completed 1 hour treadmill sessions with a combination/breakdown of:

• Warm up (10 minutes)
• Running 5.5 mph for 5 consecutive minutes
• 30 minutes of interval training (1 minute run at 6.5 with 1 minute ‘recoup’ at 3.0 mph).  Repeating this interval for 30 minutes.
• Brisk walk at 4.0 mph with the incline at 4 for 10 minutes
• Cool down (5 minutes)

These sessions burned about 425-450 calories each and assisted me in losing my first 7 pounds (7 pounds in 7 days) in this journey to 30. Score! Give interval training a try one day. You’ll be amazed at how you are able to accomplish this feat. That ‘second wind’ kicks in at just the right time.


Next Week: We’ll talk about the lovely Jillian Michael’s Ripped in 30 as well as some things I’ve been eating to assist with the drop in pounds.


You can find Angela at WiseCurls.com.




No comments: