June 30, 2011

NaturalView - Vanessa

Meet Vanessa

Vanessa is the creator of Onyx Rose Online.  She is a beautiful young woman doing her part in helping others in their natural hair journey, while sharing her own.  Check her out. 



What/Who inspired you to go the natural route?
I was already on a relaxed hair journey; however, the relaxed hair Youtube videos I watched gradually turned into natural hair videos. I loved seeing women with different textures and styles, and I wanted to stop depending on relaxers, so I gave it a shot. My first transition attempt was unsuccessful, but by my second time I was determined to be natural, even if that meant BCing before the one year mark.

How do you rock your natural? (Curly, straight, locked, etc.)
Kinky!

How often do you use direct heat on your curls, if at all?
Every couple of months I blow dry my hair. I haven’t used a flat iron yet though, but I plan on using one in the near future.  I try to limit direct heat on my hair because I know it can be damaging. I’m trying to prevent unnecessary damage as much as I can.

How do you feel about the term “nappy” used to describe hair texture? 
I don’t care for the term. I think it’s fine for people to embrace it, but I choose not to. It’s not a word that originated out of love, so I don't try to make it positive.



I know you are a college student – kudos to you by the way!  What’s the natural scene on your campus like?  Do you find that younger people embrace the natural lifestyle?
From what I remember, when I was a freshman, not that many people were natural. But it seems like a lot of us started going natural around the same time. There are a good number of people walking around with TWAs and I love it! I’ve thought about starting some kind of natural hair club, but we’ll see.

Of course everyone has their own journey to travel but since you were a Big Chopper, would you advise future naturals to go that route or long term transition?  Tell me about your decision.
I would advise people to do whatever they feel comfortable doing. I transitioned for 6.5 months (I wanted to go longer) so I would be comfortable with the amount of hair I had once I BCed. However, if I had the chance to do it all over again, I probably would only transition for a few months or just cut off all of my hair. I wish I had the chance to rock really short hair.

What made you start your blog?
Initially, I started my blog to document my hair journey, but it soon became a way to demystify natural hair myths and feature beautiful naturals from a variety of backgrounds. A year later, I’m so thankful that my blog is still helpful and inspirational for women.

Have you changed your hair care regimen with the arrival of Spring?
The only thing that has changed is that I don’t have to moisturize my hair 2-3 times a day anymore. Once a day is more than enough (thanks to Shea Moisture!). I still wash, detangle, deep condition, and style once a week to every two weeks and my hair is doing well.  

Freestyle!  Anything else you would like to share – about hair or any topic?
If you’re thinking about transitioning, don’t let the belief that “natural hair isn’t for everyone” stop you from doing so. People will say anything to prevent you from seeing your beauty and worth as a woman...don’t let them! Surround yourself with people (in your community or online) who will support you on your natural hair journey.

Stay connected with the lovely Vanessa:
P.S.  Don’t forget to check out my article while you’re there! J

No comments: