May 25, 2011

It's Beer Time! Natural Hair and Beer

Source
It’s getting warmer and barbeque season is here!  Summer barbeques remind me of family gatherings, holidays and graduations, good food and good drinks.  When it comes to drinks, Bud Light is my beer of choice when and if I want a cold one on a hot summer day.  For the most part, I am a wine drinker, specifically white wine.  I like the taste and the variety, but mostly it makes me feel super grownJ.   Every now and then, a nice cold beer is enticing and I will partake.  For example, my family hosts an annual fish fry and nothing goes better with greasy fried fish.  But hair and beer?    I’ve been hearing a lot of talk about how it’s good for your hair.  It is said to be a great remedy for damaged hair.  There is speculation that the grain proteins (wheat, corn, rice) in beer deposit on your hair and form a strengthening film, which can attribute to thickening and coats the cuticles with shine.
Arguments against it
·         The protein is not chemically modified to deposit on the hair.
·         The low pH of beer is caused by dissolved carbon dioxide which will not have a significant impact.
·         The hops have a mild astringent effect on skin but they are in very low concentrations in beer and are not left on your hair long enough to have an effect.
Recipe for Beer Shampoo:  1 cup mild shampoo, 1/4 cup boiled beer- Start with 1.5 cup beer before boiling and let it cool to room temperature.
I’m on the fence on this one.  For now, I think I’ll save my beer for the fish fry this year! 
Has anyone tried it?  Will you try it?

No comments: