March 02, 2011

A Week In The Life – Me and My Twist Out



My twists and I have not had the greatest relationship.  Click here to see what I’m talking about.  However, I decided to revisit the infamous twist out last week.  I didn’t do the usual single twists that I have done in the past.  Here’s how things went:

After shampooing/conditioning/deep conditioning, and detangling, you know the drill, I put in 12 or so flat twists all the way around my head using Darcy’s Botanicals Avocado Honey Twist cream and olive oil.  Yum yummy – of course I will be doing a product review on this at some point.  I sealed the deal as I always do with my African Shea butter and went to bed. 

Note-This twisting cream was purchased from CurlMart.  It is ALWAYS sold out so when it became available I jumped on it!




I use 100% African Shea Butter which comes in a huge tub!  Love love love it!  Some people say they don’t particularly care for the smell but I don’t think it even has a scent.  Anyway, I purchased this from an African store on South Street in Philadelphia this past summer and still have a ton left!  (shelf life is typically 18 months I think).




  
Day 1   
This morning my hair was a tad damp so I was a little worried.  Thankfully it turned out really cute.  Sorry no pics – don’t ask.

Tonight I am going to opt not to retwist any of my hair.  I will instead grab my satin bonnet and hope for the best. 

Day 2 -
This morning I was nervous about the unveiling because I had no idea what to expect.  I did the “white girl” thing (*bends head over and shakes to death) and added some olive oil. 
Verdict?  Still cute J

Day 3
Again, I was not up for hair twisting last night.  Fatigue was upon me and I could not shake it.  The weather here was nasty and yes it had an effect on my hair mood.  I ended up letting the snowflakes attack my curls while running errands earlier and just wasn’t feeling it.  Me and the satin bonnet reunited and I went to bed. 

This morning I decided to do 3 flat twists in the front.  Because of the snow experience I had on yesterday I was experiencing a little frizz.  I decided to spray my entire head with Oyin Juices and Berries and applied a 
dab of the Darcy’s Botanicals Avocado Honey Twist cream on dry hair.  I left them in on my commute to work (about 30 minutes) and I was good!  Of course, a review of this product is in the works.  I want to use it several more times before I form a complete opinion.  So far, thumbs up.

Day 4
So here I am on day 4…last night I once again opted not to retwist.  I guess I just want to see how far I can go without the extra manipulation.  I slept with a bonnet once again only this time I pulled my curls back in a satin scrunchy.  Like a low pineapple if you will.  When I took it down, I did the shake and upside down move and viola!  My hair was still cute – no excessive frizz and surprisingly no need to retwist any of the pieces.  WOW!  What I did do though was lightly spray the front hairline with a little H2O and applied a little Eco Styler gel.  I then inserted bobby pins along the front, about 5 of them.  I just wanted some more height in the front and since my curls are starting to swell up a bit…I like it.  So here are the pics.

Tomorrow I think I will pin up the back as well…just want to see what all I can do before washing it all out this Sunday.                                                       


Man am I in need of some color!  I made a vow to myself to not color until Spring though.

Day 5 – I ended up not pinning it up because it just fell so perfect.  I slept in a loc soc and was good to go!  For those who are not familiar with the loc soc, check out this video from Tashiremone.   I really like her! 
Anyway, it was a good hair week.  I think me and my twists are making progress in our new reconciliation.  J
Peace!

3 comments:

kaydensmum said...

Cute! Nothing better than a good hair week with minimal effort!

Anonymous said...

Very beautiful, love the color. I recently stopped doing the wash and go and opted to twist out- I have to say that it's such a huge difference. My hair actually looks longer. Thanks for sharing your hair stories.

Curly Chic said...

Awww thank you!I'd love to hear your hairstory. Shoot me an email!