July 05, 2011

Mommy and Me - You've Got Mail

My daughter & I 2008

Mother and daughter relationships are complex because the daughter looks to her mother as a role model of what a woman is.
Hey Tammy
My daughter and I have been wearing braids and weaves as we wait for the remainder of our relaxer to grow out.  It has been a long and grueling process and I have been ready to just cut it off and get it over with.  Well, that works for me because I’ve always worn my hair short anyway.  However, my daughter is 16 and she was not quite ready for such a drastic move.  Well last week we finally said let’s just do it.  We cut the remaining relaxer out of our hair and are both ready to get this natural thing started.  Problem is I have no idea what products to do, what hairstyles, etc. 

My response:
First of all, congratulations!  Transitioning in general is a rough road and can be especially difficult for teenagers who aren’t quite comfortable in their own skin yet.  The BC is a big step.  I wore my hair in a sort of twa years ago (like 1995!), very Jada Pinkett - ish right after having my first child.  But it was more of a “I just had a baby but I’m still hot move” more than it was a naturalista move.  I will have to find some old pics and post.  At any rate, it’s a bold move so I commend you ladies. 
Product selection is somewhat of a trial and error.  Here are a few things to consider:
1.   What do you want the product to do for you?
Do you want curl definition or do you want a moisturized twa?

2.   Are ingredients important to you?
Whether you prefer to stick with all natural hair products or not, ingredients are important.  Get familiar with ingredients and educate yourself about what each ingredient does.  Check out this “Hit List”article from NaturalBelle. 
3.   What season is it?
Products perform differently during certain times of year.   Take a look see at my summer regimen.
Also this video from Curly Headed PJ regarding Spring/Summer products is helpful.

4.   Is budget an important factor?
To most of us, the answer is yes.  Target has a wide selection of natural hair products starting at  9.99 and up. 
Other options:
Lolasgreenhair.com (gently used products)
Once you answer these questions, you will find it much easier to decide what to use.  I recommend keeping a diary of products you use and how your hair reacts.  See this article on creating a regimen.

Hairstyles
YouTube YouTube YouTube!  There are so many hairstyles to choose from.  No one can ever say natural hair is boring!  Check out this article.
Send me some pics soon!
P.S.  Don’t forget to check me out on CN this week and last week!


No comments: