January 28, 2011

Team Lightskin vs Team Darkskin – Here We Go Again!

A Little He Say She Say

“I am a dark chocolate woman.   My light skinned friend called to tell me about an experience she had while shopping with her light skinned husband.  Yes it is necessary to immediately use those adjectives identifying the shade of their skin – you will see why as you read on.   So she calls me very irate and bothered by a situation that occurred at the mall.  She says they were looking around in the store and the salesperson followed them the entire time.  She noticed a gentleman (white) behind the counter, who appeared to be the manager, call the sales lady (white), on the floor over and whisper something almost as soon as they entered the store.  The young lady was constantly offering assistance, announcing the current sales, making them aware of the dressing room location.  Sounds like typical customer service at first.  She went on to say that every time they looked up, the sales lady was not far behind.  There were several white customers in the store at the same time but she only focused on her and her husband.  To shorten the story a bit, she and her husband did not make a purchase from this store and have vowed to never return.  As I listened to her story, I was equally bothered because it did sound like there was some racial stuff going on.  Who knows.  She wraps up her story but stating “and we are light skinned!  Can you believe that?!”  As a chocolate woman, I was more offended my friend’s comment than by what the people in the store had done!  I say to her “what does that mean?”  She immediately sees that she has put her foot in her mouth and tries to clean it up.  Do I think she meant to offend me?  No.  Do I think she meant what she said?  Yes.”

Many of us know what it’s like when SWB (Shopping While Black).  The salesperson seems to pay you a little more attention than normal, make assumptions about your purchasing intentions, quickly advise you of the return policy, etc.  I love the scene in one of my favorite movies, Boomerang, when Eddie Murphy, Martin Lawrence and David Alan Grier are in a suit shop.  Check it out for a quick laugh but please remember this is Eddie and Martin so there is some explicit language.  If you are offended by certain language, please do not click but continue to read. J  It is not my intent to offend, only to illustrate a point.  They do a great job of bringing comedy to a sad but true reality.



Here’s the thing, unfortunately I have come to expect certain things from certain people.  I didn’t say “accept”, I said “expect”.  This means that when it happens, I am not really shocked.  What does continue to shock me is the off handed comments and treatment from within our race. 
Have you experienced offensive racial comments from members of your own race (whatever your race)?


Other Related Matters:
Source:  Mixed Chics.net

The Mixed Chics Owners comment on twitter.  Has everyone heard or read about this?
Check out this Alice in Nappyland excerpt regarding the issue.


Will this make you not purchase their product?  I don't know that it will influence my decision or not.  Something to think about.

2 comments:

Sabrina R Perkins said...

Oh honey, I didn't like the name of their products but I didn't allow that to stop me from trying them when I was looking for something lighter than Curly Pudding from Miss Jessie's. It was TOO LIGHT and dulled my hair. I stopped using it but kept it on the back burner as a choice when I needed it. This debacle has since made me kick their products to the curb! I get enough BS from white folks. I don't need it from my own, even though they don't realize they are among us.

kaydensmum said...

I initially didn't buy their products because the name put me off. I wasn't offended I just assumed that their products wouldn't do much for my hair. I then read some product reviews and they weren't all that great so I moved on.