December 29, 2010

Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue, Product Review

OK so I finally tried it and honestly I expected to be disappointed.  I have always heard that the line is drying, the ingredients are horrible and that it leaves your hair starving for moisture.  Oh and the main complaint is always the cost!  A few bad reviews can turn you completely against something, unless you are a “PJ” like me and have to try it out for yourself.  I am a glutton for punishment I suppose.
I wanted to be able to give my own personal account of how my hair responded to the product.  No product is for everyone so I always keep that in mind when trying new products.  I must confess, I would have NEVER purchased the product if they were not running the BOGO special.  I just could never justify it when there are so many other affordable products out there.  Yet it is still hard to ignore those who sing its praises.  One in particular, Kabrinam loves their products.  She is a YouTuber who I really enjoy.  Her hair is absolutely gorgeous and she gives very honest and forthright reviews so it kind of made me listen up when I watched her reviews.  The product claims to be "Excellent for: twist and braid out, spiral rod set, fingerstyling, 2-strand twists, curly weaves and more! Amazing for OUTTA CONTROL CURLS!"  It is also advertised as ideal for "curly, wavy, or kinky hair" - check, check, and check!  It might as well say "Tammy's hair".

Miss Jessies.com


Ingredients: water, parafinium liquidum, glycerin, triethanolamine, fragrance, carbomer, wheat amino acids, aloe barbadensis leaf extract, avocado oil, coconut oil, sweet almond oil, jojoba seed oil, olive fruit oil, oleth-5, PEG-12 dimethicone, ethylhexyl methoxycinnanate, disodium EDTA, DMDM hydantion, iodopropynyl, butylcarbanate, yellow 5.  Paraben-free and silicone free.
So right off the bat, I'm concerned with the "parafinium liquidum" (mineral oil) which is extremely drying for natural hair - something we don't need more of - dryness!  Because of this I will not use it as a staple product and I will definitely use a clarifying shampoo after.

At any rate, here goes...I opened the jar and omg!  The smell!  It was delightful!  One of the best smelling fragrances I've smelled in a hair product.  It smells almost edible and reminds me of a pound cake batter my grandmother used to bake.  I am very attracted to pleasant smelling products - like many consumers and I will purchase something based on the scent alone.  I will also trash a product based on smell alone.  I co washed my hair with Aussie Moist conditioner, detangled in the shower and couldn't wait to get started. 

Since I am a big fan of the braid out lately, I sectioned my hair into six sections and proceeded to braid my damp hair, while applying about a dime size of product to each section.  The texture is very creamy and almost looks like vanilla pudding.  Eye candy if you will.  I tied my hair up with a satin scarf and retired for the night.  I left the braids in for two days, which was a mistake for me because it didn't turn out as big as I like it.  It was a little too defined if that makes sense.  I took each section down with jojoba oil on my fingers, however, my hair was shiny before I applied the oil.  I was very surprised about that because I still had the dry as the dessert expectation in the back of my mind.  I was already trying to figure out what I would do with my hair in the event that it was horrible.  As I took each section down, very defined and shiny waves were revealed.  I couldn't believe it.  I actually liked it - I didn't love it but I liked it.  The jar cost me $22 for 8 ounces and I got a second jar free.   I forwarded the other jar to my daughter.  Her hair is completely different so I am interested in seeing what results are achieved once she uses it.  My hair felt soft and smooth - not dry and brittle like I expected.  I had intended on using a leave in underneath mostly because I was afraid of the dry results but it turned out I didn't need it. 

How I wore my hair:
I wore my braid out on day 1 to give it a chance to loosen up.  I slept with a satin scarf but I didn't re-braid it that night.  This was Christmas night and it been a long day.  I barely got the scarf on. 




Day 2 - I was inspired by the Girlfriends Marathon that was on.  My girl Joan had her hair beautiful curls pulled back yet still really full so that is the look I went for.  I lightly sprayed it with water and pulled it back using a Goody Pony Pouf Clip gadget.  It pulls your hair snug without sacrificing the bulk which is what I love. Before bed, I braided my hair into four huge braids without reapplying additional product or wetting.



Day 3 - The next day when I took it down - bouncy, fluffy waves and I love it!  I did not leave the house so that was the extent of my styling.  However, had I left, the only thing I would need to do is add some oil and keep it moving.  Thumbs up on the Curly Meringue.  Next time I will try it on freshly shampooed hair.

Rating:  4 out of 5 Curls

*Product Review Disclaimer

No comments: