November 16, 2010

NaturalViews with Courtney

Meet Courtney

When did your natural journey begin?
While I’ve had plenty of relaxers, waves, Hawaiian Silkies and other chemical nonsense I’ve actually been natural most of my life I just wasn’t informed on how to keep it healthy. The last time I was relaxed was fall of 2007 and that little relaxing streak ended a year later in the winter of 2008.

What/Who inspired you to go the natural route?
A little background.. What led me to my last relaxer was frustration with the state of my hair. While I didn’t realize it at the time, my hair was badly damaged by all of heat I was using. I grew tired of my lifeless, brittle hair so I got a relaxer (go figure!). I regretted the decision right away, but I felt I had no other choice. In 2008 I met the Curly Chic, learned of an entire community of natural ladies on You Tube and attended a Get It Straight workshop or two became addicted to sites like Curly Nikki and it’s been love ever since. I BC’d in May of 09 I’ve never looked back.

How do you rock your natural?  (curly, straight, locked )
Where’s Fro option!?!
I love bantu knots because I can get a million and one styles from them. Also, I’m not afraid of the fro and a bantu knot out makes for a nice big one after a week or so.


What is your current routine?
Well let me state that two changes in my routine has made a huge difference in the health of my hair. 1) I now use Ayurvedic powders and oils. I henna every two weeks and do an amla treatment once a week. Also, my hair loves Vatika oil. 2) I use Kimmayatube’s recipe for a great leave in. This leave in makes my hair very moisturized, shiny and healthy.
I wash my hair once a week. After I wash I do an amla treatment. Once I’m done with the amla treatment I apply the Kimmaytube recipe to my wet hair, do my  bantu knots, tie my hair up and take it down the next day. Every two weeks I add the henna treatment to mix.
For upkeep I may or may not redo my bantu knots before bed during the week. Depends on how lazy I’m feeling. I also sleep with my oh so sexy bonnet.

What is the one thing you love about your hair?
Sorry, but I can’t pick just one thing. It’s free to do what it wants to do, I don’t have to pay anyone to make it look it’s best, it’s an extension of me and it’s beautiful! What’s not to love!?


Curly Chic

No comments: