November 30, 2010

Who Is Your Natural Hair Idol?


As a little girl growing up, there were not a lot of celebrity African American women in the spotlight.  Before there was a Janet Jackson, my favorite was Diana Ross!  I loved her music, her clothes and of course her big hair!  My favorite movies were “Lady Sings the Blues” and “The Wiz”.  I even wore a flower in my hair (I was only around 12 and knew the power of the flower) inspired by the gardenia she wore in Lady Sings the Blues.  As an adult, I became a fan of her daughter, Tracee Ellis Ross.  Her fashion sense and beauty is so incredible and her skin is flawless!  If I could choose one celebrity to sit down with a nice glass of wine and have girtalk with, it would be Tracee Ellis Ross.  One of the many reasons I looked forward to watching Girlfriends every week when it was on the air, (and even now I record the reruns) was to check out Tracee’s hair.  Her versatility and style is something to be admired.  She has such defined curls and it always has a shiny and healthy appearance.  Here are fewof her hair tips and facts I learned about her hair routine.
Shampoos
·         Aveda Shampure
·         Rene Furterere
·         Gold Well Conditioning Shampoo


Conditioners
·         Aveda Cherry Almond Bark
·         Aveda Deep Penetrating Revitalizer
·         Gold Well Kerasilk Conditioner
·         Hair Mayonnaise


Wash & Gos
·         Mixed Girls Leave-In Conditioner
·         Elixor

Other
·         Rene Furterer Vinegar Rinse
·         Steam

Tracee tells Essence Magazine:  “On a weekly basis, one of my beauty secrets is that I steam. I go to one of the Korean day spas. I fill my hair up with Gold Well Kerasilk Conditioner-that conditioner is fantastic for conditioning hair under a heating cap, which I do if I can't get into a steam room. With the Kerasilk, your hair will not curl up. My hair gets so soft that it doesn't curl up, so I have to use another conditioner. The other is very expensive but you get a lot for your money. It's called Hair Mayonnaise. It is a growth enhancer.”

Styling Tools
·         Denman D4 brush
·         Large clips for sectioning

Straight Hair Routine
·         Kerastase conditioner
·         Kerastse Oleo Relax
·         Chi blowdryer and Ceramic ionic irons

Her best advice: “Condition, condition and condition and stay away from alcohol-based products.  It just dries your hair out.”

Source:  Essence Magazine

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love how gorgeous they both look in these pics. Diana Ross looks just as good, if not better, than her daughter. Now that's a fierce diva!

Curly Chic said...

@ Anonymous – Diana was killin’ it in this pic right?! Have always loved her! Just finished watching one of my fave movies for the millionth time, Lady Sings the Blues over the weekend and it reminded me how much. Thank you for reading and commenting!