June 24, 2011

Do Not Underestimate the Power of H2O

Show me a woman with beautiful hair and skin and I'll show you a gallon of water.  It's no secret that our bodies are made up of mostly water so it stands to reason that the more we drink, the better.  It has been a pretty hot summer thus far, which means water is a staple.  I wanted to share a few tips from celeb nutritionist, Kimberly Snyder, I read recently. 
  1. We can lose up to three quarts of water per day - warmer weather and activities increase the amount we lose so up your water intake during the summer months.
  2. Drinking more water will provide nourishment to your hair and skin.  Dehydration dries out skin and can lead to under-eye circles and wrinkles.  Lack of water makes it more difficult for your hair to grow in healthy, thick and full.
  3. Allow your body time to hydrate.  After you drink water, try to wait at least 20 minutes before eating so your body has time to absorb.  *Especially after hitting the gym.
I plan on increasing my daily water intake substantially.  I can always tell when I'm slipping in that area.  My face suffers first.  One other thing I am going to implement is replacing my morning cup of Joe with a mug of hot water and lemon.  Lemon is a citrus fruit which is of course high in Vitamin C and helps flush out your system.  It is a great way to start the morning off well hydrated!  * Note, follow with fresh water if you take supplements. 

No comments: