When the love of your natural hair crosses the line to Obsessionville, it may be time to reevaluate some things and reprioritize. The domination of one's thoughts or feelings by a persistent idea, image, desire, etc. is the definition of obsession. Here are 7 signs that you are dangerously close:
1. You treat your hair like another human being
You often refer to your coils as "her", as if you are speaking about one of your friends and have even given them a name.
"Mahogany and I are spending some quality time together this weekend”.
2. No conversation goes by without mention of your hair
Your friends are apprehensive about even mentioning the word “hair” for fear that you will start on a natural hair tirade. You repeatedly chant India Arie’s “I Am Not My Hair” however; your afro almost always ends up being the topic of discussion. You turn something totally unrelated into a dialogue about natural hair.
Your friend: “It’s raining outside”
You: “I’m glad I’m natural, I don’t have to worry about rain”
3. You spend hour after hour perusing the Natural Hair blogs and Twitter
Your entire day is centered around the latest and greatest products or hairstyles for natural hair. You find it difficult to focus at work until you’ve had your cup of joe and done your daily natural hair blog browsing and you can’t wait to get home to your laptop in the evenings to continue.
4. You are always giving unsolicited hair advice
You are in line at Macy’s and overhear two ladies behind you talking about how damaged their hair is. You immediately turn around and start testifying about how healthy your hair is because you are natural. You then proceed to tell them that their hair will never be healthy until they make the decision to let go of the creamy crack.
5. You are like Chicago in the movie, “Poetic Justice”, walking around with your hair tool of choice so that at any given moment, you can whip it out and coif your mane.
6. You change your hairstyle several times throughout the day to showcase how versatile natural hair is. At least that's the reasoning you give but the real reason is you just can't keep your hands out of your hair nor your face out of the mirror.
7. You must publicly display your love for your natural hair by purchasing every natural hair t-shirt on the market.
Nothing wrong with a dose of pride about your decision to live life as a naturalista, but too much of anything is never good. BTW, after writing this, I realize I described myself in this post.J