April 01, 2011

NaturalViews with Alexandra

Meet Alexandra


Okay first I have to ask about your tattoos!  I love love love them!  I only have 2 small ones so I can live vicariously through you.  Is there a story behind them?  Clearly you have a small crush on butterflies?

Ok so, I am hooked on tattoos. I love body art and I have a lot of it.  To be honest I have lost count of how many I have. Most of them are easily hidden by clothes and shoes but my arm and chest piece are clear for the world to see in most cases.
My shoulder piece, which consists of butterflies and birds is inspired by my free spirit and a quote that I hold dear to me from one of my favorite Alicia Keys song, Unthinkable. The quote says “Come be in the sky with me.” The butterflies represent the rebirth of love and the different changes I have gone through in my life. The birds represent freedom to soar to heights that may seem impossible. All of my tattoos have meaning but my shoulder piece means the most to me.

You have so many different hairstyles!  I am trying to get in touch with my creative side when it comes to hairstyles.  I am starting a segment on my blog called “What Came First, the Shoe or the Hair?”  How would you answer that question?  Do you style your hair based on the clothes your rock or do you select your clothes based on the hairstyle you rock? 

I just got into wearing my hair braided in protective styles. My hair has been “hassle free” for about six weeks now and I love it. It’s just easier to wear my hair in styles that I am not forced to fuss with. I am also trying to reach a hair goal of APL by my 2 year natural hair anniversary in September so low manipulation PS’s will be my signature look until then. When it comes to “What came first, the shoe or the hair” I would say I select my clothes based on my hair style and if I am not really feeling like rocking the funky braided hair look I just cover my hair with a beanie for the day, since I refuse to take these tiny things out after a few days. I try to keep my hair braided for 2 weeks at a time, it’s been working thus far.

It is inspiring to see up and coming entrepreneurs, especially people of color.  Tell me about Safi Hair Care and what motivated you.  



The idea for Safi was born in an entrepreneurship class I needed to take for my major. I never imagined that my line would become quite this popular in the natural hair community. It’s great that I am able to connect with my customers and give them quality hair products that they love. Everything in my line is made from all natural ingredients and many of the main ingredients are organic. I think it’s very important that natural hair is treated with care and “fed good food” so that it can flourish and maintain good health.

Safi, I think, helps naturals achieve both of those things. I have a lot of regulars who come back whenever I re-open shop which is like 3x a year, they buy up everything! I love it and the feeling of giving other naturals quality products that they “can’t live without” makes me feel so good! The hard work put into running a business is definitely rewarding. I love what I do.


Most of the women I know wear multiple hats on a daily basis.  How do you balance your many roles?  I know you are a mom like me! 

I would say I balance my many roles by taking a step back sometimes and reevaluating my life. It can be very hectic being a mom, college student, employee and a business owner. There are a lot of things that I am trying to accomplish before I turn 25 and the only way I can accomplish those things is with patience, meditation and time. Being a mother is NUMBER ONE so my little one will be on the ride to success with me, every step of the way.

Can you please share your regimen and your must have products?  Of course Safi Hair is # 1 right?!

My regimen is simple and Ayurvedic for the most part. I was with shampoo 2x a month and I co-wash maybe 3 or 4 times depending on how I am wearing my hair. Lately, since my hair has been in PS’s only wash with shampoo once a month and I co-wash on my take down day. I also try to henna 2x a month or use Rhassoul clay to give my hair a good detox. Other than that, I try to keep it simple.
Two stand twist outs are my best friend when I wear my hair down. Occasionally, I will blow my hair out and flat twist it for big fun hair!
The products I use are an abundance of many, including some from my own line. I am a product junkie so it’s hard for me not to want to splurge on new things. However, over the past year, I have learned what my hair likes and doesn’t like. My must have products are below:

1.      Kinky Curly Knot Today
2.      Safi’s Curl Clouds
3.      Safi’s Avocado Shea Butter
4.      Yes to Carrots/Cucumbers Conditioners
5.      Oyin Handmade’s Greg Juice and Burnt Sugar Pomade
6.      HairVeda’s Vatika Oil
7.      Jamila Henna
8.      Herbal Essence Hello Hydration
9.      Original Moxie’s De-tangling Leave In Conditioner
10.  Bee Mine’s Hair Milk and Curly Hold Butter

Those products are ALWAYS stocked under my bathroom sink. I need them and my hair really does react well to them all.

Some believe the absence of all chemicals is the only true natural. What is your feeling about color on natural hair? 
Well, I have died my hair before and I believe that I am still natural. I think that the only way a person is not considered natural is when they use a chemical to loosen or straighten their hair texture but that is just my opinion.

Freestyle Time!  J If there is anything else you would like to share, please do!
Thank you so much for featuring me! I love your blog and I wish you the most success! J

Wanna keep up with the lovely Alexandra?  Check out her blog, "The Good Hair Blog" and follow her on twitter
Curly Chic

2 comments:

KeetaRay said...

Great feature! I have come to know Alex personally and she is a beautiful person, inside and out.

Curly Chic said...

Thanks! I can definately see that! It was a pleasure.