March 23, 2011

Spring - Fruit Is In The Air

With the arrival of Spring comes more consumption of fruit in my diet.  I pretty much eat them all with the exception of strawberries.  My faves are oranges, watermelon and pineapples.  Fruits that are beneficial to hair growth and skin care include avocados, apricots, bananas, pineapples, pomegranate, mango and guava so I am going to try to work more of those in.  Eating fruit, one of THE most important foods, is a WIN WIN!  It reduces risk of chronic illness, it is a major source of vitamins, especially the obvious C supplement, it helps with the digestive tract and increases energy.  Need more than that?  Click here.  If you can manage to fit in at least 5 servings per day, you’re good!  Here’ a few suggestions:  
  1. Drop some bananas, strawberries are blue berries in your cereal
  2. Throw together a fruit salad – easier to eat when you can just grab a portion from the fridge
  3. Fruits that don’t require peeling are easy to eat on the go (apples, peaches)
  4. Drink fruit juices/smoothies
Side Bar:  Some say you should only eat fruit on an empty stomach, others say it doesn’t make a difference as long as you get it in.  I tend to eat it as more of a dessert.  If the above is true, it explains why I sometimes have digestive issues after eating certain fruits.
Another Side Bar:  I’m not sure how I feel about organic vs. regular fruit but most suggests that organic is better.  I say as long as you are consuming fruit, you’re on the right path.  What about you? 
Here's a few articles on the topic:

No comments: