February 10, 2011

Is it Just a T-Shirt?

One of the blogs I frequent, bglh (black girl long hair) posted this the other day and I thought it was interesting.  Click here to read:
I submitted the following comment and wanted to elaborate a little here:
When I first looked at this tee, my first reaction was to laugh.  Not a hysterical laugh or the way I laugh at an Earthquake comedy show, but a definate chuckle.  I personally wasn’t offended at all.  While I am natural and have been for many years, I haven't always been and nor are all of my friends and family.  When I read the phrase “Relaxers are evil”, I take it as the chemical itself being evil, not the person who chooses to relax his or her hair.  In that respect, “naturals are evil” would not be an accurate analogy. 
What do you guys think?  I mean, it really could be viewed several ways.  Who knows what the intention of the creator was.  Either way, it sparks discussion.  Once again, it goes back to the whole “us vs. them” dynamic that seems to exist no matter what.  Sometimes a t-shirt is just a t-shirt.

No comments: