January 25, 2011

Chemical Relaxers

So I feel like I want to spend a few days talking about relaxers.  Today I just want to talk about a few basics.
A little cosmo101
Sodium Hydroxide (NaOH), also known as lye and caustic soda, is a caustic metallic base.  Basically it softens the hair fibers and causes the hair to swell while penetrating the cortex and breaking cross-bonds (sulfur and hydrogen).  It has an extremely high alkaline content…there’s more to it dealing with ph, etc…but I’m not a chemist and I don’t want to bore you but you get the picture.


The effects of relaxers are permanent – damage can be minimized but not be reversed.  The only way to redeem your hair is to cut it all off and start fresh!  Remember – this is why I don’t relax – this is a very personal decision.  I’m just sharing my experiences and my point of view – I can do that.  This is my blog! J

No comments: