November 02, 2010

We Are Family



When you think of peer pressure, you typically think of sex, drugs, and rock–n- roll! I’m speaking of a different type of peer pressure- - the pressure to relax! I started relaxing my daughter’s hair at a very young age because it was “unmanageable”. Truth is – I wanted her hair to be “long” and “straight” because that’s what I thought it should be. Her hair eventually broke off and we had to start trying to repair it, all the while, I was feeling a huge amount of guilt over my decision to relax in the first place! As a practicing licensed stylist at the time – I felt even more guilt because I wasn’t able to protect my daughter’s hair.

Needless to say, after my decision to go natural AGAIN in 2004, I made the decision (in '05) to do the same with my daughter, who was only 12 at the time. For months and months she would beg me to relax her hair – it was an ongoing battle! We did micros for the first few years (she’s an athlete so it made sense at the time) but in time realized that wasn’t the healthiest option for her either.

I’m proud to say that she is now 17 years old and still natural and her hair is thriving! It has really grown in the last 2 years due to a new hair regimen. She loves loves loves her hair and really takes care of it. Her peers are all asking her what she does, how she gets it so soft and how healthy it looks. This is the reaction from young African American teenage girls! I think it’s awesome. It takes a lot for a young girl to be confident period, yet alone enough to wear her naturally beautiful hair and not cave to the peer pressure. My teenage daughter and I have been natural for 5 and 6 years respectively….my son has been natural for all of his 22 months.

Current Products We Use:
Tools: Microfiber Hair Towel, Ouidad Detangler Comb
Shampoos: Trader Joe’s Nourishing Shampoo, Jason’s Natural Biotin Shampoo
Clarifying: Neutrogena, Bentonite Clay Treatment
Conditioners: Hello Hydration/ None of Your Frizzness (Herbal Essence), Aubrey Organics Honey Suckle Rose
Leave In/Detanglers: Kinky Curly Knot Today, Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave In
Deep Treatments: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque (me), Henna (my daughter) Styling/Sealants: Aloe Vera Gel, Eco Styler (Olive Oil), Shea Butter
Oils: Jojoba, Olive, Vatika

Things I hope to try:
Honey & Hot Oil Treatment
Karen’s Body Beautiful Product Line

Curly Chic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You have a beautiful family!

Curly Chic said...

@Anonymous Thank you so much!What a nice compliment!I appreciate it.